What is Primavera P6 Integration API & what is the purpose of installing it in remote mode? I will let you know the
answer to these questions in this post.
Primavera P6 Integration AP is a Java-based API and server that enables developers to create client code that can seamlessly access P6 EPPM functionality likes projects, resources, assignments etc for Integration & customized reporting purpose
The Purpose of Installing Primavera Integration API in remote is, in Remote Mode, the client code runs on a different machine than the Integration server. Java Remote Method Invocation (RMI) is used for communication between the Java code and P6 EPPM functionalities. Also, multiple clients can communicate with the Integration server simultaneously.
To make you more understandable, let I share a practical example of API in remote mode.
Neeraj, the Java developer sitting in USA office, have to write some Java programs on his local laptop at USA office.
Ravi, the Primavera application owner sitting in India office and the Primavera application/Database is installed in India.
Akhilesh, the API Expert, sitting in UK office.
Now Neeraj has to develop the new Java reports for Top Management to show projects performance. So he needs to access the Primavera database for getting P6 EPPM functionalities like portfolios or project performance data fo. In this case, he has to request Akhilesh to install Primavera P6 API in remote mode on the server, maybe at UK location.
Once Primavera P6 API get installed in remote mode, Ravi, the Primavera expert will configure the Primavera administrator settings to use particular port RMI port to get connected to API server.
And in this way, Neeraj, Java developer can access Primavera data/functionalities with the help of Primavera P6 API at a remote location (USA).
Before installing the P6 Integration API,
a. Install Primavera P6 EPPM.
b. Install the Java Development Kit (JDK)
c. Remote mode installations of the P6 Integration API require supported application servers (Oracle Weblogic)
1. Download Primavera P6 API
Go to edelivery.oracle.com & search for Primavera P6 EPPM & Click Continue
Click on the link to download Primavera P6 Integration API
2. Install Primavera P6 Integration API
Go to the setup file & double click on the setup.exe
2. P6 Integration API wizard opens on the screen. Click Next to continue
3. Select the Mode you want to install,
Here you have select Client Side Package – You should choose this option if you want to Install API in remote mode. In this method, the code connects to the RMI server first to connect to Primavera database.
4. Select the location where you want to install P6 integration API
5. Select both the checkboxes so you can get the demo application to test the API & Java doc library.
6. Select your Java directory.
7. Click on the install button.
8. The installation will be progress on the screen.
3. Connection with Primavera database:
Once you installed Primavera P6 API, follow the below steps to connect it with Primavera database at the remote location.
1. Go to the API Home, and double-click to execute the dbconfig.cmd file
2. Select your Database type on Database Configuration page (In this example I have “Microsoft SQL Server” )
3. Enter the Database connection parameters
4. Here, you can either select existing P6 configuration or can additional P6 configuration for API
5. You will get confirmation window once P6 configuration successfully created
6. Configure the Primavera administrator settings as below to use default RMI port to get connected to API server.
7. To check the connection between API & P6 Database, run andy Demo Java code provided in API Home.
8. Enter the Primavera Database server IP and Default RMI port 9099 (as configured in Primavera Administrator)
9. Enter P6 administrator username & password.
10. Select the Output file location and click Next to execute.
This is how P6 Integration API installed in remote mode.
Latest posts by Ravi Katare (see all)
- Unifier is not Working. ORA-28000: The Account is Locked - September 26, 2019
- Unifier is not Working. ORA-28001: the password has expired - September 22, 2019
- Are you using Primavera in Right Way? - August 12, 2019
- How to Create a Company in Unifier - February 24, 2019